Man who had boiling water thrown over him in Dublin hostel refused damages
A MAN who had boiling water thrown over him as he watched TV in a Dublin city hostel has lost his High Court action for damages.
Ms Justice Bronagh O Hanlon said The Salvation Army did not fail in its duty of care to Mark Inglis.
Mr Inglis sued after he was attacked in a Salvation Army hostel in Longford Street in 2010.
Ms Justice O'Hanlon said what happened was not a common occurrence and it had shocked the hostel staff.
The court heard Mr Inglis suffered burns to his face, chest, abdomen and legs and spent more than two weeks in the St James Hospital burns unit after the incident.
He told the court he had been living at the hostel for about nine months because he was desperate and had nowhere to go.
He said on the night of August 21, 2010 the lights went out in the TV room and a kettle of boiling water was thrown at him by another resident.
The kettle ended up upside down on his lap.
Mr Inglis, originally from Aldershot, England had claimed there was an alleged failure to take any or any reasonable care to ensure he would be safe in using the premises and that he was allegedly allowed to be in fear of his safety.
The Salvation Army denied all the claims. It also contended Mr Inglis's claim of having made prior complaints to staff of threats of violence from the other resident were untrue.
Ms Justice O'Hanlon said the system in place at the hostel was in line with their own procedures and the court considered the assault was certainly not forseeable.
Neither did the court accept Mr Inglis had made complaints of having being threatened by the other resident prior to the incident.