Man who falsely accused X Factor judge Louis Walsh of groping him apologises
A MAN has admitted falsely accusing X Factor judge Louis Walsh of groping him in a nightclub.
Leonard Watters apologised in court for making two false reports to Irish police that the pop music mogul sexually assaulted him in Dublin nightspot Krystle.
Watters, 24, from Navan, Co Meath, went into the witness box in the city's District Court to say sorry to Mr Walsh.
"I would like to sincerely apologise to Mr Louis Walsh for all the stuff I put him through. The allegation was false," he said.
Judge Dermot Dempsey remanded Watters in custody until 2pm when he will be sentenced.
Detective Inspector Michael Cryan told the court Watters had claimed the assault happened on Saturday April 9, after Westlife had performed at Dublin's 02.
He said the pair had been socialising in a pub and travelled to Krystle together, but at about 4.30am Watters approached a garda officer on patrol on outside the celebrity spot on Harcourt Street alleging he had been sexually assaulted by Walsh.
The investigators said Watters was taken to Mountjoy Garda Station where he made the same allegation, before being examined at a sexual assault unit.
Watters was met by gardai several times before me made his first official statement on June 20 at Harcourt Terrace Garda Station in Dublin city centre, the same day he pointed out the toilet where he alleged the offence took place.
"On June 24 I met Mr Walsh under caution and he denied it," added Mr Cryan.
The senior garda revealed Watters made a second false statement on June 27 - the day before CCTV from the nightclub was reviewed.
"It became obvious the CCTV did not support his allegations," he added.
Watters was arrested at his home on June 28 and was interviewed five times.
"He admitted Louis Walsh did not sexually assault him," said Mr Cryan.
"He continued to claim he was sexually assaulted in the toilets but that Louis Walsh did not do it."