Tuesday 23 January 2018

Man who allegedly shot himself before shooting intended target is remanded

Thomas Ryan allegedly blasted his own leg before opening fire on Charlie O'Neill

A file picture of Charlie O’Neill who was the victim of the shooting on Glasnevin Avenue in Dublin
A file picture of Charlie O’Neill who was the victim of the shooting on Glasnevin Avenue in Dublin

A 31-YEAR-OLD man, who allegedly blasted himself in the leg by accident before shooting another man in the chest in Dublin last month, has been further remanded in custody.

Charlie O’Neill (51), from Ballymun, had been cycling on Glasnevin Avenue when he was shot in the stomach on the morning of August 26th. The Ballymun man, who survived, was treated at the Mater Hospital where he had been in a critical but stable condition.

At nearby Hillcrest Park, a second man was found with gunshot injuries to his leg who was later taken to Beaumont Hospital while a shotgun was located close to the scene.

The 31-year-old man was later brought to Ballymun Garda station where he was held for questioning until he was charged and brought to appear before Dublin District Court last week.

Jobless Thomas Ryan of McKee Park, Cabra was charged with unlawfully possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life. Mr Ryan “made no reply” when he was charged with the offences.

At his first hearing on August 30th last, Garda Cathal Connolly had objected to bail citing the seriousness of the offence adding that a man had been cycling on Glasnevin Avenue, when he was allegedly shot by the accused.

The district court had heard that two shots are alleged to have been fired but it was alleged that the first round was discharged unintentionally and the defendant suffered “an accidental gunshot wound to the leg”.

It was alleged that a second shot was fired which hit Mr O'Neill in the abdomen. Gda Connolly had also said that more serious charges could be brought against Mr Ryan.

He had been refused bail at his first hearing and today, he appeared again, via video-link, before Judge Grainne Malone at Cloverhill District Court.

The 31-year-old man, who has not yet entered a plea, was further remanded in custody for another two weeks.

By Tom Tuite

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News