Sunday 17 December 2017

Man told victim 'I'm the devil' in sex assault

Sonya McLean

A MAN has been jailed for six years for an aggravated sexual assault in which he told his victim he was the devil before biting her and ripping off her clothes.

Pawel Nowicki (25) grabbed his victim and dragged her into the driveway of a house in Birr, Co Offaly, which was coincidentally her former home. He then tripped her up and hit her before ripping off her clothes and bashing her with his fist.

He told her he would give her €300 before he said that he had a knife and said: "I'll kill you, I'll kill you."

Detective Garda Kevin Egan told barrister Padraic Hogan that Nowicki said to the woman "two minutes, two minutes" before he bit right into her finger, her face and her forearm.

He then told her: "I am the devil, I am the devil" before he sexually assaulted her.

Det Gda Egan said Nowicki had used the woman's own scarf to blindfold her during the ordeal and she was terrified that she was going to die.

He said Nowicki ran away after the sexual assault and the woman phoned her friend, who alerted the gardai before he took the victim home.

A medical report before the court stated that she had bruises to her face, throat and forearms, cuts above her eye, teeth marks on her body and strangulation marks around her neck.

Nowicki, of MacGregol Park, Birr, Co Offaly, pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to aggravated sexual assault on October 24, 2010.

Mr Justice Paul Carney noted the "gratuitous violence and credible threat to kill" involved in the attack but also noted Nowicki's remorse and early guilty plea.

He registered him as a sex offender and imposed 18 months of post-release supervision. He also ordered Nowicki to have no contact with his victim on his release.

Det Gda Egan said he wanted to express his gratitude to the local people in the Offaly town for their assistance in tracking down Nowicki.

He said Nowicki was arrested after he was caught on CCTV cameras in the vicinity of the incident at the time. He was later interviewed five times.


Nowicki told the gardai he had proposed money to a woman for sexual activity but she then decided she didn't want it anymore. He also admitted hitting and biting her.

He told gardai he had been drunk at the time and could not remember the details but later agreed he had raped her after dragging the woman into some bushes.

Det Gda Egan said Nowicki moved to Ireland about six years ago and had been living in Birr with his father. He had five previous convictions.

Det Gda Egan agreed with Colm Smyth, defending, that Nowicki told gardai in interview: "I would like to ask for forgiveness. I am very, very sorry about the woman."

Mr Smyth said his client wanted to again "publicly ask for forgiveness".

He said he had co-operated with gardai and was not trying to hide in any way. He added that his client accepted his behaviour on the night was unacceptable.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News