| 6.6°C Dublin

Man slashed garda across head with kitchen knife, court hears


The garda, who was wearing a stab vest, was lacerated from his hairline to the crown of his head

The garda, who was wearing a stab vest, was lacerated from his hairline to the crown of his head

The garda, who was wearing a stab vest, was lacerated from his hairline to the crown of his head

A young man slashed a garda across the head with a kitchen knife when the officer went to investigate a reported stabbing on a Dublin street, it has been alleged.

Lee Quinn (24) is accused of attacking the garda as he tried to speak to a man who had been found suffering a wound to his side.

A court heard the garda, who was wearing a stab vest, was lacerated from his hairline to the crown of his head, but was “extremely lucky” to avoid more serious injuries.

Judge Paula Murphy refused Mr Quinn bail and remanded him in custody, to appear in court again tomorrow.

The initial stabbing incident is still under investigation. Mr Quinn, from Keeper Road in Drimnagh, is charged with assaulting a garda, garda obstruction and possession of a knife.

The incident is alleged to have happened at St Vincent’s Street West in Inchicore on March 30.

Detective Sergeant Brian Hoey told Dublin District Court the accused made no reply to the charges after caution at Kilmainham Garda Station.

Objecting to bail, he said gardai were called to a report of a stabbing at Tyrone Place. On arrival, they found a man nearby with a stab wound to the left side of his torso and a garda attempted to engage with him.

The man began acting in an aggressive and threatening manner, refused to engage with the garda and walked away, before returning some moments later and continuing to act aggressively.

Lee Quinn then arrived, carrying a large kitchen knife with an eight-inch blade, Sgt Hoey continued. It was alleged Mr Quinn approached the garda from behind.

The garda demanded he drop the knife and it was alleged Mr Quinn attempted to stab him on the right side of the abdomen. He also slashed at his head, striking him on the crown of his head.

The garda sustained a large laceration to his head which started to bleed. While attempting to restrain the accused, it was alleged he was attacked by both men and all three fell to the ground.

Mr Quinn swung the knife in a downward motion and the garda held onto his arm, preventing this, Det Sgt Hoey said. Dublin Fire Bridge ambulance personnel arrived and dragged the accused off the garda and Mr Quinn was arrested, he said.

The alleged victim was treated at St James’s Hospital for a laceration to his head. He also had grazes to his hand and a suspected fracture to a finger. However, this was x-rayed and he was found not to have a fracture.

Citing the strength of the proposed evidence in his bail objection, Sgt Hoey said the accused was arrested at the scene immediately afterwards and a knife was recovered.

The alleged incident was witnessed by numerous members of the fire brigade and there was CCTV footage.

Sgt Hoey said the accused was highly intoxicated when he was arrested and a doctor deemed him unfit for interview for eight hours.

He was co-operative with the gardai but made no admissions, the court heard. The DPP had directed trial on indictment.

“The garda was extremely lucky to get away with the injuries he did get away with from the attack,” Set Sgt Hoey said.

The officer had been wearing a uniform and stab vest at the time.

Applying for bail, defence solicitor Ruth Walsh submitted a psychiatric report on the accused to the court. She said she had significant concerns about her client’s mental health, he could spend a long time on remand and custody was “simply not an appropriate place for him” at the best of times.

Ms Walsh said “we are in a very strange and unusual situation due to Covid-19” and she could imagine the strain that was on the prison psychiatric services.

It would be “absolutely detrimental” to Mr Quinn to be remanded in custody, he said.

Mr Quinn’s mother was very concerned about her son’s mental state and had wanted to come to court to support him but Ms Walsh had told her it would not be appropriate.

Judge Murphy took into account the accused’s presumption of innocence. However, she said the charges were serious and she did not believe the objections could be met by way of bail conditions.

She directed Mr Quinn receives appropriate medical treatment in custody and adjourned the case to tomorrow, when he will appear in Cloverhill District Court.

Online Editors