| 5.2°C Dublin

Man makes court challenge to his inclusion on register of sex offenders

Close

Stock Image

Stock Image

Stock Image

A man convicted of sexually assaulting a woman has launched a High Court challenge seeking to overturn a direction that he be included on the sex offenders register.

The action has been brought by John Keady, who last month pleaded guilty to a charge of sexual assault against a woman at the Heritage Hotel Killenard, Portarlington, Co Laois, on December 9, 2018.

The offence was prosecuted summarily before Portlaoise District Court.

Keady (45), of Durabhan, Roscam, Galway, who took €5,000 to court as a token of his remorse for the offence, received a 10-month suspended prison sentence.

The court also directed he be the subject of notification requirements provided for under the 2001 Sex Offenders Act - the sex offenders register - for a period of five years.

At the High Court, his counsel James Dwyer SC said the notification requirements provided for in the 2001 act did not apply to his client.

This was because Keady had received a wholly suspended sentence and his victim was not mentally impaired nor under 17 years of age at the time of the offence, counsel said.

The action, against the DPP, seeks an order quashing the order made by the district judge in relation to the sex offenders register.

Permission to bring the challenge was granted on a one side only represented basis by Mr Justice Charles Meenan.

The case comes back in April.

Irish Independent