Friday 20 April 2018

Man living in toilet died of heart attack

Josef Pavelka
Josef Pavelka

Gordon Deegan

A HOMELESS man who was living in a toilet had toxic levels of alcohol in his system when he died of a heart attack on a laneway six months ago, an inquest heard.

Czech national Josef Pavelka's plight received national attention when a district court judge described it as a "scandal" that Mr Pavelka was living in a public toilet in Ennis.

Five weeks after the remarks of Judge Patrick Durcan, the 52-year-old's body was found in a laneway behind Supermacs on Ennis's O'Connell Street late on a Saturday night.

At Mr Pavelka's inquest yesterday, Sergeant Sandra Healy recalled that on the night of May 5, gardai received a call that a man had collapsed at the laneway behind Supermacs.

On arriving at the scene at 11.4pm, Sgt Healy found Mr Pavelka lying close to a bin.

Mr Pavelka never regained consciousness.

The post-mortem found that there were toxic levels of alcohol in Mr Pavelka's system.

The post-mortem found that cardiac failure associated with toxic levels of blood alcohol levels were the causes of Mr Pavelka's death. Coroner Isobel O'Dea returned a verdict in accordance with the medical evidence.

Present at the inquest at Ennis courthouse yesterday was Fr Tom Hogan, who provided food and other supports to Mr Pavelka. Speaking after the inquest yesterday, Fr Hogan said: "I came to the inquest to acknowledge that Josef wasn't a forgotten soul and that his life did make a difference."

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News