Tuesday 24 April 2018

Man left scarred for life after being slashed with knife in row over cigarette, court hears

Stock picture
Stock picture

Greg Harkin

A man on a visit home from America was left scarred for life after being slashed with a knife by a notorious criminal in a row over a cigarette, a court has heard.

Jason Haughey, (26), from Rosemount, Letterkenny was jailed today for seven years for the attack – and other offences - which left three large knife wounds on victim Darragh Harvey.

Mr Harvey had been standing in a smoking area outside Gallagher’s Hotel on April 23, 2012 on a night out with his father, Letterkenny Circuit Criminal Court was told this evening.

Haughey had approached Mr Harvey and demanded a cigarette and then produced a knife when his demand was refused, said Judge John O'Hagan.

A medical report from Letterkenny Hospital consultant Dr Stewart Boyd showed that Mr Harvey received a 16cm slash wound to the left hand side of his face.

He also received two slash wounds to his neck, one 24cm long and the other 12cm long.

Mr Harvey was rushed to St James Hospital in Dublin for emergency plastic surgery but had been left scarred for life, said Gda Sgt Jim Collins.

Sgt Collins also detailed a number of other charges against Haughey.

Haughey pleaded guilty to burglary at Glencar Road in Letterkenny on February 4, 2013 at the home of Padraic and Majella Gallen while on bail for the attack on Mr Harvey.

He pleaded guilty to assaulting Mr Gallen – leaving the victim with cuts on his chest and arm - the victim using a golf club to thwart Haughey’s attack.

He pleaded also guilty to a charge of burglary on January 23, 2013 at Castle Street, Letterkenny.

He was also pleaded guilty to obstructing a garda on February 4, 2013 at Glencar Road and admitted assaulting a garda at Letterkenny Garda station on February 4, 2013.

Gda Sgt Collins said Haughey had self-inflicted wounds from striking himself with a snooker ball and had splashed blood over a garda during that incident.

He said the garda had to wait three months for the all-clear from doctors.

Gda Sgt Collins said Haughey had 42 previous convictions including four for burglary, three for assault, five for theft and 12 for criminal damage.

Judge John O’Hagan said Haughey had already had three convictions for assaulting gardaí before the attack on Mr Harvey.

He said the victim had suffered “absolutely horrific” injuries in the incident.

He sentenced Haughey to three years for the knife attack and a concurrent three year sentence for possessing the knife.

The judge said as the crimes in 2013 had been committed while he was on bail, he sentenced Haughey to four years for the burglary and two years for attack on Mr Gallen.

He suspended the last year of a total of seven years for a period of 12 months.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News