Saturday 16 December 2017

Man lay dead for days after carbon monoxide poisoning

Brian McDonald

A MAN lay dead for a number of days before being discovered by gardai after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning.

His brother lived in the house with him but was not fully competent, an inquest heard.

Concerns were raised about Kevin Breheny (59) after a postmistress realised he had not called to collect his disability allowance.

Gda Caitriona McGrath went to his home and eventually roused his brother, Micheal (67). The officer found Mr Breheny lying fully clothed on his bed and he was clearly dead.

The jury at the inquest in Ballaghaderreen, Co Roscommon, urged that gas heaters and regulators be checked on a regular basis by competent service engineers.

The exact date of Mr Breheny's death could not be determined, as it is believed he was dead for a number of days before his body was discovered by gardai on January 18.

The jury returned a verdict of death by misadventure due to a faulty gas appliance.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News