Saturday 24 August 2019

Man jailed for several vicious blade attacks - including slashing French tourist's face from ear to mouth

Stock Picture
Stock Picture

Aoife Nic Ardghail

A Dublin man has been jailed for eight years for several vicious blade attacks including slashing a French tourist's face from his ear to his mouth.

Dean Teeling (27) repeatedly stabbed a man before slashing the tourist and another stranger across the face with a razor blade in unprovoked incidents a year later.

Teeling of Cappagh Avenue, Finglas West, Dublin pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to violent disorder and assaulting Ian McKenna causing him harm at Central Bank Plaza, College Green on September 9, 2013.

He also pleaded guilty to assaulting Gerard McKeever at McDonalds, Lower O'Connell Street, on April 24, 2014 and assaulting French tourist Loic Marie-Magdaleine on Fleet Street, Temple Bar, later on the same date.

His previous convictions include thefts, robberies, criminal damage and firearms and drugs offences.

Judge Martin Nolan commented that the maximum five year sentence that each of the assaults carried was “not adequate” to punish Teeling, who has 81 previous convictions.

He noted there was no mandatory consecutive element in the case as Teeling had not been charged for the first assault when he committed the others, but said he would impose consecutive sentences as the offences were so serious.

Michael O'Higgins SC, defending, submitted to Judge Nolan that it this was “not an easy case to mitigate” but submitted that his client's pleas and co-operation had been valuable.

He said Teeling was raised by a violent and unpredictable father and had himself a “very short fuse”. Mr O'Higgins said his client wished to reiterate his apologies to all injured parties.

Judge Nolan noted that Teeling has a propensity towards violence, but accepted that he was remorseful.

He imposed imposed four years on each of the razor blade assaults to run consecutively to four years for the stabbing.

Garda Niall Murray told John Byrne BL, prosecuting, that Teeling stabbed the then 28-year-old Mr McKenna eight times as he lay on the ground after being punched and kicked by three others.

Mr McKenna, who is since deceased from an unconnected incident, was found to have been carrying a large machete. He was taken for emergency surgery to St James Hospital.

Gda Murray explained that there had been history between Mr McKenna and Teeling from when they had been in prison and the now deceased man had been anticipating trouble that day.

He told the court that Mr McKenna suffered facial fractures, a rib fracture and multiple stab wounds.

He said Teeling and the three co-accused had fled the scene after the 20 second attack and gardaí began compiling CCTV footage from all over the city centre to identify the culprits.

Gda Murray said he arrested Teeling two days later after identifying him from CCTV and that he made admissions and accepted he had stabbed Mr McKenna.

The garda told Mr Byrne that Teeling was not charged for this offence until November 2014 as it was a large investigation to identify all four assailants. He described Teeling as “quite personable but said that obviously there's another side to him”.

Garda Toni Moore told Mr Byrne that Teeling's second victim had got off a bus at Westmoreland Street and spotted a gang as he walked towards O'Connell Bridge.

Gerard McKeever, who was then 24-years-old, later told gardaí that the group chased him over the bridge after one of its members pushed him.

He ran into McDonalds on Lower O'Connell Street but was pursued and eventually cornered by Teeling, who struck him across the face.

Gda Moore said Mr McKeever told gardaí he didn't realise he had been slashed with a razor blade until afterwards.

He required 10 stitches, had been left with a scar running from his eye to the other side of his nose and suffered from anxiety since the assault.

Teeling recalled giving chase across the bridge and hitting a person “a few digs”, but claimed that Mr McKeever had threatened him.

Gda Moore said Mssr Marie-Magdaleine was walking home with his friends when his brother, Lionel, bumped into a drunk woman on Fleet Street a short time after the McDonalds attack.

The garda said this woman “told the brother where to go” when he asked if she was alright and walked into a nearby pub.

Teeling then came out of the same pub and sliced the French man across the face with a razor.

Gda Moore said the injured party, who returned to France without making a statement, received 19 stitches to a large slash running from his ear to the corner of his mouth.

She said Teeling apologised for this attack in interview and said he had had too much to drink. He claimed someone must have given him the blade as he didn't carry one.

Gda Moore agreed with Mr O'Higgins that his client told her that the woman who had entered the pub had said something had happened outside and Teeling took offence.

Mr O'Higgins submitted that Teeling had been raised by a violent and unpredictable father and had himself a “very short fuse”.

Mr O'Higgins said his client wished to reiterate his apologies to all injured parties.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News