| 2.8°C Dublin

Man jailed for life over murder of ex-girlfriend

A ROMANIAN man was jailed for life last night for murdering his ex-girlfriend after she began a relationship with another man.

It took a Central Criminal Court jury of seven men and five women an hour and a quarter to find Mihalache Marian guilty by unanimous verdict.

The 49-year-old, with an address in Romania, had pleaded not guilty to murdering Loredana Pricajan on January 28 last year.

The Romanian nurse (35) was found dead in Marian's bedroom at the Irish Management Institute (IMI) in Sandyford, Co Dublin. She had two cut-throat wounds to her neck, with both the carotid artery and spine severed.

"Loredana's death came as such a shock that will follow us for the rest of our lives," her parents said in a victim impact statement.

"The pain we carry in our soul is so strong that it blackens our hearts the same way it blackened our clothes.

"Loredana was the light of our lives. Her death caused us great sadness and our health has also been affected, so much so that we are both on various medications.

"Our daughter's death changed us immensely; we are not the people we used to be. Now, in our old age, when she was our biggest help in every way, morally and financially, we are left on our own, with no support.

"Our life without Loredana means nothing. She was our only child. Going to the place where her life was taken caused us an indescribable feeling of pain and also a lot of stress.

"We also found our trip to Ireland and our presence here in court very traumatic. Our only reason for living now is to go to her grave to bring her flowers and mourn her."

Marian was also found in the same bedroom in the IMI and had neck and wrist wounds. He told the trial that Ms Pricajan had cut his neck, not the other way around, and that he couldn't remember what happened after that.

However, the doctor, who examined the accused, said his wounds were self-inflicted.

Meanwhile, deputy State pathologist Dr Michael Curtis said Ms Pricajan's wounds were inflicted from behind and could not be self-inflicted.

The trial heard that Marian flew to Dublin from Romania three days before the murder.

He brought two knives and did not tell Ms Pricajan he was coming.


He intercepted her as she walked home from night duty on the morning of January 27.

He took her back to his bedroom, put a 'do not disturb' sign on the door and took the bedroom phone off the hook until the morning of the 28th, when he rang reception looking for help.

Footage of Ms Pricajan crying in her shower was found on Marian's mobile phone.

He was heard questioning her about her current boyfriend and threatening to put this footage, in which she was naked, on the internet.

"I'm going to post that on YouTube so people can know you're a whore," he said.

Detective Inspector Martin Cummins told Mr Justice Paul Carney that the victim's parents, Mia and Pasu Pricajan, had been in court throughout the trial.

However they had to return home before the verdict after running out of medication.

"I think everything has been said," Marian said after the verdict.

The judge imposed the mandatory life sentence.

The victim's boyfriend, Christian Sirbu, said afterwards that he knew Marian had been causing problems.

"Finally, justice has been done," said the Romanian, who lives in Belgium but attended each day of the trial.

Irish Independent