Monday 19 August 2019

Man jailed for 12 years over savage, prolonged rape ordeal

Alan Hanley (34) was jailed for 12-and-a-half years
Alan Hanley (34) was jailed for 12-and-a-half years

Declan Brennan

A savage rape attack on a woman only ended when she ran naked from her house wrapped in a towel, a court was told. The "brutal and prolonged" attack by Alan Hanley (34) was recounted in court before he was jailed for 12-and-a-half years.

Hanley, formerly of Upper Carey's Road in Limerick city, and latterly of no fixed abode, had pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to three counts of rape on the night of May 4 and 5, 2012. He had admitted assaulting the woman, causing her harm, on the same occasion.

After a retrial last month, a jury returned guilty verdicts on the three rape charges.

Sergeant Andrew Lacey told the sentence hearing that Hanley went to the woman's house and began punching and kicking her when she answered the door. He continued the attack until she was lying in a ball by the fireplace.

He then tore all her clothes off and raped her on the rug before dragging her by her hair into a shower, where he "hosed her down", the court heard.

She tried to escape but he caught her and raped her a second time and dragged her into the shower again. He dragged her downstairs, where he raped her a third time.

After the third rape, Hanley became even more enraged and started cutting up the rug and burning the cut-up pieces in the fireplace.

He also burned all her underwear, telling her: "They'll get no evidence here."

The fire alarm then went off upstairs and Hanley went up to turn it off. The woman seized her chance and ran out to the street looking for help.

She testified: "I don't know where I got the adrenaline rush to run. I just ran and ran and ran." A woman who saw her telephoned the gardaí.

Ms Justice Deirdre Murphy imposed sentences of 12-and-a-half years for each of the rape offences. She imposed the maximum possible sentence of five years for the assault, saying it was hard to envisage a more serious attack.

"He terrorised her for more than an hour, putting her in real fear of her life," the judge said. All sentences will run concurrently from May 2012, when Hanley was in custody.

He has previous convictions for violent crimes, including possession of a knife in 2000 and threats to kill in 2007 and 2008. He was convicted of intimidating a witness.

The rape victim suffered from nightmares, which left her terrified to sleep, and she still attends weekly counselling with the Rape Crisis Centre. Ms Justice Murphy said the woman had worked hard on her personal growth and self-esteem.

During the sentencing hearing, Hanley, who had dismissed his legal team after his conviction, repeatedly shouted at the judge that he was not a rapist and called the victim a liar.

He shouted: "You're making me out to be an animal." Ms Justice Murphy warned him that she would sentence him in his absence if he continued.

She told him he had a constitutional right to appeal the conviction.

Hanley shouted that he would be appealing.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News