Wednesday 15 August 2018

Man in court over Irish Rail yard robbery

Stock picture
Stock picture

Joe Barrett

A third man has appeared in court charged with robbery at an Iarnród Éireann yard in which a security guard was locked in the boot of his car for eight hours.

Martin Cunningham (35), with an address at Crann Cottage, Clonegal, Co Carlow, appeared before Portlaoise District Court yesterday charged with robbery at the yard at Kilbricken, Mountrath, Co Laois, on December 13.

Detective Garda Derek Burnett said that when the charge was put to the defendant, he made no reply. He added that gardaí were objecting to bail being granted.

Defence solicitor Josephine Fitzpatrick said Mr Cunningham was a father of three children and expecting a fourth, and had worked as a contractor in the yard up to the time of the incident.

Judge Catherine Staines denied bail and remanded Mr Cunningham in custody until Friday to allow time for the DPP to give directions in the case.

Two other men appeared before the same court last week in relation to the same incident.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News