| 9.4°C Dublin

Man had sandwich and nap after finding his partner hanged

THE partner of a woman who hanged herself attempted to resuscitate her but did not raise the alarm for five hours -- after he had a cigarette, a sandwich and a sleep.

Ian Brady told Dublin Coroner's Court that he believed he had successfully revived Rita Hogan (32) at their bedsit on Upper Gardiner Street in the north inner city, on July 27, 2010, and that he could feel her pulse.

He did not raise the alarm for another five hours. At that stage she had been dead for a number of hours, the inquest heard.

Gardai had concerns relating to the time-lapse between her death and the emergency services being called in.

An extensive investigation was carried out. A file was sent to the DPP who directed that no charges should be levelled.

The court heard that on the day of Ms Hogan's death, Mr Brady went to the shop at around 6.30am.

He returned shortly after and found Ms Hogan at their bedroom window. She had used a belt and radio cord to create a ligature to hang herself from the window handle.

He immediately removed the cord from around her neck and administered CPR.

"I was pumping her chest. I blew in her mouth and air blew back at me so I knew she was breathing. I then checked the pulse on her arm and felt a pulse. I then felt a neck pulse and I put my ear to her chest and I could hear her heart beating strong," he said.


Neither he nor Ms Hogan had a phone so he was not able to call an ambulance. He put a pillow under her head and duvet over her legs before going to the kitchen for a cigarette and to eat a sandwich.

He checked on her again and thought that she was breathing. He nodded off and woke up some time later. When he checked on Ms Hogan at around 11.30am she had a brown liquid coming from her mouth, her skin was purple and she was cold to the touch.

He ran downstairs and made several attempts to borrow a phone from bystanders, all of whom refused.

He eventually was able to call the emergency services from a payphone. A note was found at the scene.

"I tried to assist her when I came back. I was devastated. I tried to get a phone but I couldn't. I went into a state of shock," said Mr Brady.

Claire Hogan told the court that her sister had a long history of mental illness and that she had attempted to take her own life on a number of occasions. Ms Hogan began smoking cannabis and taking "acid" when she was 12 years old. In later years she developed an addiction to heroin and was on the methadone programme at the time of her death.

The post-mortem was carried out by Deputy State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis, and the cause of death was hanging.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell returned a verdict of death by suicide.

Irish Independent