Wednesday 29 January 2020

Man 'gutted' his stepson in knife row and left him to die, trial hears

Dean Fitzpatrick
Dean Fitzpatrick

Natasha Reid

A Dublin man murdered his stepson by "gutting" him with a knife and then fled the scene and did nothing to help him, a jury has been told.

David Mahon (46) denies murdering 23-year-old Dean Fitzpatrick on May 26, 2013.

Mr Fitzpatrick's sister Amy Fitzpatrick went missing in Spain in 2008 and has never been found. He was stabbed to death outside Mahon's apartment at Burnell Square, Northern Cross in Malahide.

Opening the case for the prosecution, Remy Farrell SC, said it will be alleged Mr Mahon had been drinking heavily on the day when Dean came over to see him.

He said it will be the State's case that Mahon stabbed Mr Fitzpatrick during this visit.

Mr Farrell said the accused will claim it was an accident and may allege Mr Fitzpatrick had been suicidal, but the State argued this would be peculiar if it were "suicide by stepfather".

Mr Farrell told the Central Criminal Court both men were members of the Northwood Gym in Santry and Mahon's bicycle was interfered with outside the gym on May 24, 2013. The court heard CCTV footage suggested it was Mr Fitzpatrick who had done so.

The jury was told Mahon was annoyed and was in his apartment with two friends when he phoned Mr Fitzpatrick to come over. A confrontation followed.

"Ultimately, Mr Fitzpatrick admitted doing it [interfering with the bicycle] to annoy him," said Mr Farrell.

Both men were agitated and Mr Fitzpatrick was told to leave.

Mahon then told a friend he'd be back in a minute.

"It's what happened when he walked out the door that's the issue," said the barrister. "David Mahon arrived back in and had a carving knife," he said.

"The prosecution case is that David Mahon stabbed Dean Fitzpatrick in the abdomen."

The jury heard Mr Fitzpatrick ran off, collapsed nearby and was tended to by strangers. He died the following day.

Mr Farrell alleged Mahon tried to flee the scene but eventually went to gardaí.

"He suggested it'd been an accident, that he had taken the knife off Dean and he had walked onto it, impaling himself," said Mr Farrell.

Mr Farrell told the jurors they would have great difficulty in reconciling that account with Mr Fitzpatrick's injuries.

"In common terms, he had been gutted," he said.

The trial continues before Ms Justice Margaret Heneghan.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News