Man goes on trial accused of raping prostitute and sending her threatening messages
A Kerry man has gone on trial accused of raping a prostitute and later trying to pervert the course of justice by sending her threatening messages.
The man, who is legally entitled to anonymity, has pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court to oral rape and sexual assault of the woman in a hotel room in Dublin city on March 28, 2010.
He also denied two counts of threatening or putting in fear a witness in a garda investigation on dates between April 29 and May 28, 2010.
In her direct evidence the woman said that she had agreed to meet the man for a “girlfriend experience” but that he became rough with her.
She said that weeks after the alleged rape she received texts and emails referring to telling her family and neighbours in a rural Irish village that she was working as a prostitute.
It is the State's case that these texts and emails were sent by the accused for the purpose of intimidating the woman.
The texts told the woman to withdraw “false allegations” or that her neighbours would be shocked and ashamed. Another text stated: “I assume your family know you are a prostitute. I’ve passed on your messages”.
The sender of the texts described himself as a good friend of the man concerned.
The woman said she had been working as an escort or sex worker for short periods over the four years before the alleged assault. She advertised herself as a well educated former model who specialised in a service described as the “girlfriend experience” or “GFE”.
The accused man contacted her through the Escorts Ireland website and an arrangement was made for them to meet in the hotel room.
She said that during the sex the man was aggressive and at one point she told him he was hurting her. She said she thought he was going to kill her at one point, that she asked him to leave and that she was crying and shaking. She said he continued to have sex with her.
Thomas Creed SC, defending, put it to the woman that his client believed at all times that she was consenting to the sexual acts that took place in the hotel room.
He put it to the woman that his client agreed with her that it was to be “a quickie” and said he paid €50 to €100 to her. He said she felt short changed and didn't like it and made the complaint for that reason.
The woman said these were all lies and that she did not consent to what happened. The trial continues before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and a jury of six men and six women.
The woman told the court that before meeting, the accused texted her asking if she would wear latex or leather outfits, she said. When she said she didn't have any he told her to answer the bedroom door naked and she agreed to do this.
“To antagonise him in any way would have been a very dangerous thing to do.” she said. At one point during the sex he covered her mouth and her nose with his two hands, she testified.
“I thought he was going to kill me, I couldn’t breathe. I screamed. It was muffled. His full body weight was on me,” she said. She said she managed to get out from under him and lay on the bed in a ball, begging him to go.
Sobbing in court, the woman said: “I begged him to go. I was ranting. I was shaking, crying as I am now.”
She said that she told the accused “I didn't sign up for this”. She said he apologised to her and left. She reported the incident to the Escorts Ireland website and gardaí were contacted.