Monday 19 March 2018

Man charged with raping daughter over 15-year period

Brian McDonald

A WOMAN told yesterday of how she was raped, buggered and indecently assaulted by her father over a 15-year period.

The woman, who is now 30, said the often violent abuse started when she was just five or six and continued until she was 20.

Her 49-year-old father has denied a total of 105 charges. He pleaded not guilty at the Central Criminal Court, sitting in Castlebar yesterday, to 81 rape charges, 12 of buggery and a further 12 of indecent assault.

The offences are all alleged to have taken place between 1985 and 2000.

Before the case got under way yesterday, Mr Justice Barry White said he was asking the media to be especially careful not to publish or broadcast anything that would lead to the identification of the family involved in the case.

The woman told the court that her father used to bring her into a press, put her over an object and rape her from behind. He told her it would only hurt for a while.

"He said to me 'it's just a game' and we couldn't tell my mother about it. . . I tried screaming, crying, asking him to stop. . . it lasted a few minutes," she said.

The woman said the abuse continued throughout her childhood and up until the time she told gardai in 2000.

"Whenever he wanted to have sex with me, he'd show me his private parts -- to touch him. I didn't want to," she said.


She outlined how her father had got her to masturbate him and have oral sex with him on other occasions. Sometimes it would happen daily, other times it would be weekly.

It happened in the home, outside on the ground and, at times, over the bonnet of a car and inside the car, she told the court. The only respite she got was when her father was away from the family home for about two years when she was nine.

But, on his return, he resumed having sex with her and sometimes it was more violent. "He told me not to say anything or he'd hit me," she told the court.

She was too afraid to tell anyone what was happening and felt the only person she could confide in was a sister.

"It continued every chance he got -- when my mother was not there, or asleep."

In her late teens she had a boyfriend and gave birth to a child. After the birth, she returned to her parents' home.

Within a fortnight and, despite having stitches from the delivery, her father raped her again, she told the court.

He continued to have full intercourse with her -- despite her protests -- until she went to a garda station in 2000.

In the week that she informed the gardai of what was happening, he had raped her a couple of times, she added.

A sergeant brought her to a hospital and, in the course of an examination, a number of samples and swabs were taken.

The case continues before Mr Justice White and a jury today.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News