Tuesday 21 November 2017

Man charged with murder and attempted murder of mother and daughter

The scene of a shooting in Killinarden Walk, Tallaght Photo: Tony Gavin
The scene of a shooting in Killinarden Walk, Tallaght Photo: Tony Gavin
The scene of a shooting in Killinarden Walk, Tallaght Photo: Tony Gavin
The grief-stricken family of Mary Dargan (inset), including her daughter Karina (third from right) at the scene of the shooting in Killinarden Estate, Tallaght, Dublin. Caroline Quinn
Gardai taking body of Mary Dargan from scene of shooting in Killinarden Estate, Tallaght. Photo: Caroline Quinn
Mary Dargan’s body is removed from the scene of the shooting. Caroline Quinn

Tom Tuite

A NEIGHBOUR has been charged with murder and attempted murder of a 66-year-old woman and her daughter following a gun attack at a family home in Tallaght in Dublin.

Grandmother Mary Dargan died from a shotgun blast to the head after she encountered a man entering the back of her house, at the Killinarden Estate at around 4pm on Saturday

Her 34-year-old daughter, Karina Dargan, who also lives in the house, was shot at and suffered injuries to her face. She and was taken to Tallaght Hospital but was later released.

A neighbour 58-year-old James Redmond was charged with murder and attempted murder and was yesterday remanded in custody after he appeared at Dublin District Court which also made an order that he was to be psychologically assessed.

Several of Mrs Dargan’s grandchildren, including a four-year-old girl, were in the house at the time and were frantically passed out windows to stunned locals.

Gardai arrived and had arrested the man who had already been restrained at the scene and he was later treated in St James' Hospital for minor injuries.

He was released from hospital late on Saturday night before he was detained for questioning under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

He was dressed in navy hooded jacket, dark trousers and a dark top, and had a bandage on his head, when he appeared before Judge John Coughlan at Dublin District Court earlier today.

The 58-year-old, who was granted legal aid, listened silently as Garda Conor Fleming gave evidence of him being arrested and charged at 4.25pm on Sunday. He told Judge Coughlan that Mr Redmond “made no reply” when both charges were put to him at Tallaght Garda station.

In both murder and attempted murder cases the issue of bail can only be considered in the High Court.

Judge Coughlan agreed to the garda's request for the accused man, who did not address the court, to be remanded in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on Friday (MARCH 21) and

Defence solicitor Padraig O'Donovan asked for a court order that Mr Redmond, who has not yet indicated how he will plead, is to be psychologically assessed.

Judge Coughlan agreed to make that direction and as Mr Redmond, who also lives at the Killinarden Estate, was being escorted from the courtroom more heckling erupted in the public gallery.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News