| 10.9°C Dublin

Man charged with killing Nigerian taxi driver in Dublin

A 25-YEAR-OLD man has been charged with the manslaughter of a Nigerian taxi-driver in Dublin last year.

Moses Ayanwole (41), who had been living in Ireland for 15 years, had been working in the city-centre when he sustained head injuries during a row at Pearse Street, on November 21 last year.

Mr Ayanwole, who had lived with his wife Olusola at Rusheeny Grove, Hartstown, west Dublin, was the father of a 12-year-old boy.

He went into a coma and after being taken to St James’s Hospital, it was decided not to transfer him to the specialist unit at Beaumont Hospital due to the seriousness of his injuries. He died two days later.

Today unemployed William Keegan, of Pearse House, in Dublin 2, was charged with unlawfully killing Mr Ayanwole.

Det-Sergeant John Doyle told Judge Cormac Dunne at Dublin District Court that Mr Keegan was arrested and charged yesterday (TUE) morning at Pearse Street Garda station.

“He made no reply to the charge after caution,” Det-Sgt Doyle told Judge Dunne, adding that he had no objection to bail.

He agreed with the judge that he did not consider Mr Keegan to be a flight risk, but asked for him to surrender his passport as a condition of bail.

Defence solicitor Shalom Binchy told Judge Dunne that the passport was in court and could be handed over. She also said a brother of Mr Keegan would act as an independent surety.

Det-Sgt Doyle agreed to Gerard Keegan acting as a bail person and added that the defendant's brother was reliable and responsible.

Olusola Ayanwole, the widow of the deceased, was present for the brief hearing today, which was also attended by members of Mr Keegan's family.

Dressed in a grey jacket, white shirt, striped blue tie, and black trousers, Mr Keegan did not address the court and has not yet indicated how he intends to plead to the charge.

Legal aid was granted and he was remanded on bail in his own bond of €500 along with an independent surety in the sum of €1,000, to appear again at Cloverhill District Court on June 26 next.

Judge Dunne also directed that as a condition of bail, Mr Keegan could not apply for a new passport and he has to sign on twice a week at Pearse Street garda station.