Monday 20 January 2020

Man charged with Hutch murder after extradition from the UK

Jonathan Keogh
Jonathan Keogh
Andrew Phelan

Andrew Phelan

A man has been extradited from the UK and charged with the murder of Gareth Hutch, who was shot dead in a suspected crime feud killing last year.

Jonathan Keogh (31) appeared in Dublin District Court charged with the murder. He had been arrested under warrant in England and then extradited here.

Judge Gráinne O'Neill remanded him in custody for the preparation of a book of evidence. Mr Keogh is the third person to be charged in connection with the death of Gareth Hutch.

The accused's sister, Regina Keogh (39), and co-accused Thomas Fox (29) have already been charged and sent for trial to the Special Criminal Court.

Mr Hutch (35), the nephew of Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch, was shot as he was getting into his car outside Avondale House flats, on North Cumberland Street in inner-city Dublin, on May 24 last year.

Jonathan Keogh, a brother of murder victim Michael Keogh, left Ireland following Mr Hutch's murder and a European arrest warrant was issued late last year.

He was arrested by police in Romford, Essex, on June 11 last following a surveillance operation by Britain's National Crime Agency.

Mr Keogh appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court on August 10 and was told he would be extradited to Ireland.

Two armed gardaí stood outside Dublin District Court yesterday when he was brought before Judge O'Neill.

Garda Sergeant Enda O'Sullivan told the court he arrested the accused at Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel, at 2.21pm.

Mr Keogh was brought to Clondalkin garda station, where he was charged in Sgt O'Sullivan's presence at 3.50pm. He made no reply to the charge after caution and was handed a copy of the warrant and charge sheet. No bail application was made as this can only be done in the High Court on a murder charge.

The judge asked Mr Keogh's solicitor, Damien Coffey, if any other application was being made as "obviously, bail doesn't apply". Mr Coffey asked for Mr Keogh to be remanded in custody for a week.

Judge O'Neill noted a "significant" garda presence in the court for the case and asked if any security concerns could be circumvented by remanding the case to a different court.

"I believe we will have any security that needs to be in place for whatever court sits," Sgt O'Sullivan said.

Mr Keogh has not yet indicated how he intends to plead.

The case was adjourned to Cloverhill District Court on August 30.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News