Tuesday 12 December 2017

Man charged with assault that put mum in coma

Paul McMenamy outside court yesterday, where he was charged with assaulting Nicola Murray
Paul McMenamy outside court yesterday, where he was charged with assaulting Nicola Murray
Nicola Murray

Tom Tuite

A MAN charged with assaulting a mother-of-three who remains in a coma following an attack in her home has been remanded in custody.

Care worker Nicola Murray has been left fighting for her life after she sustained serious head injuries during an incident in her house earlier this week.

The 28-year-old was found by her mother in the bedroom of her home at Reuben Walk, in Rialto, Dublin 8, in the early hours of February 5.

She was rushed to Beaumont Hospital, where she remains in a stable but critical condition.

Yesterday, Paul McMenamy (26) was brought before Dublin District Court charged under Section Three of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Persons Act.

He is accused of assault causing harm to Ms Murray at her home on February 5.

Judge Patrick Durcan heard that Mr McMenamy was arrested at Bewleys Hotel, Clonshaugh Road, near Dublin Airport, yesterday at 2.05am, and was then taken to Kevin Street garda station.

Detective Sergeant Michael O'Brien told Judge Durcan that the defendant "had nothing to say" in reply to the charge.

Det Sgt O'Brien also said that there was an objection to bail and he applied for a remand in custody.

Mr McMenamy, of Donomore Green in Tallaght, Dublin, did not address the court during his brief hearing.

Defence solicitor Michael Hanahoe asked Judge Durcan to let the case stand in the court's list.

When it resumed a short while later, Mr Hanahoe said that he was deferring the bail application.

Judge Durcan remanded Mr McMenamy in custody to appear again at Cloverhill District Court on February 14. Legal aid was granted.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News