| 14.7°C Dublin

Man charged with assault on homeless man who was later found dead

A YOUNG man has been charged with assaulting a homeless man whose battered body was discovered in a rubbish disposal chute.

David O'Loughlin (26) was charged with assault causing harm to Liam Manley (58) on May 12 last in a Cork city centre apartment complex.

Mr Manley (58) had been homeless in Cork for over 25 years and was a frequent resident of various Cork Simon shelters.

Originally from Gurranabraher, he was found dead by a maintenance worker at the City Garden-North Gate House apartment complex on Bachelor’s Quay, Cork.

David O’Loughlin (26) of Apartment 10, Garden City Apartments-North Gate House, Cork was charged with assault causing harm to Mr Manley contrary to the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.

O'Loughlin, dressed in a red Munster rugby top, did not speak during the brief hearing.

Judge Leo Malone was told by Detective Garda Katrina Tansey that O'Loughlin was arrested and later charged at the Bridewell garda station on May 22.

He made no reply when cautioned and charged.

Inspector Michael McGuire said gardai were applying for the accused to be remanded in custody pending directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Frank Buttimer, solicitor for the accused, told the court that he was not applying for bail but would notify the court at a later date if he wished to make such an application.

Mr Buttimer also asked Judge Malone to grant free legal aid as his client was not working.

Inspector McGuire asked Judge Malone to allow for the accused to appear at the next sitting via video link.

The application was granted and O'Loughlin was remanded in custody to appear before Cork District Court on May 30.    

Online Editors