Man charged over Alan Shatter home burglary to be sent forward for trial
A FATHER-of-one charged over a burglary at the home of Justice Minister Alan Shatter is to be sent forward for trial, a judge was told today.
Darragh Heavey (25), is charged with trespassing at the Minister's house, at Delbrook Manor Ballinteer, in Co Dublin, with intent to commit theft of two watches of unknown value, belonging to Mr Shatter on March 18.
No one was home at the time of the incident which is alleged to have occurred as Mr Shatter was abroad representing the Government at St Patrick’s Day celebrations in Australia.
After he was first charged he had been remanded in custody but later was granted bail in the High Court bail on April 2 last.
Today, his case resumed, however, he was not present.
Dun Laoghaire District Court heard that Mr Heavey of Moeran Road, Walkinstown, Dublin could not be produced as he had been taken into custody.
Solicitor for the defence Laurence Baxter said his client was not present as he was in Cloverhill Prison on other matters but was on bail in relation to this charge.
Solicitor for the state Ronan O' Brien told the court that the book of evidence was ready to be served on Mr Heavey. Judge Leonard heard that the DPP's directions were that he should stand trial on indictment; the DPP's decision means the case will be sent forward to the Circuit Court which on conviction has wider sentencing powers.
Judge Clare Leonard adjourned the case in Mr Heavey's absence and ordered that it would resume at Cloverhill District Court on May 29 when he is to be served with the book of evidence.
At the initial court appearance in March, Detective Sergeant Eugene Stapleton had said that Mr Heavey had been arrested in the vicinity of the house and a forensic examination would link him to the property.
He said that the offence on conviction at Circuit Court level can carry a ten-year sentence.