Sunday 26 January 2020

Man accused of trying to strangle woman in hotel room is denied bail

Tom Tuite

A 47-YEAR-OLD man, who allegedly tried to strangle a young woman in a hotel room in Dublin earlier this month, has been refused bail.

Robert Melia, a father-of-two, who is originally from Coolock, in Dublin but currently has no fixed address, appeared in court yesterday to face charges of assault causing harm to the woman, who is in her early 20s, and falsely imprisoning her at a north inner city hotel on May 19 last.

Dublin District Court heard allegations that he tried to strangle the woman and threatened to chop her up before she jumped out of the first floor window of a locked hotel room after some of her clothes had been removed.

Mr Melia had been arrested last Saturday near Beaumont Hospital where he had spent five days getting treated for injuries he had sustained. The following day he was sent back to hospital for another two days.

WHEELCHAIR

Mr Melia was in a wheelchair for his court appearance and Judge Patricia McNamara was told that he had broken both his ankles. He was wearing a grey top and tracksuit bottoms and had one leg in a cast when he was brought into court.

Defence solicitor Cahir O'Higgins said the man has epilepsy, and has indicated that he had recently suffered a stroke.

Detective Sergeant Martin McInerney told Judge McNamara that Mr Melia replied, "nothing to say" when the charges were put to him.

The officer objected to bail and told the court that Mr Melia booked into Caulfield's hotel on Dorset Street on May 18. It would be claimed he called the woman on his mobile phone and invited her to meet him in his hotel room.

They met outside and went to the room where it was claimed there was a dispute allegedly triggered by Mr Melia.

His next hearing will take place at Cloverhill District Court, on June 6; the judge also directed that he was to receive medical attention during his remand in prison.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News