| 11.3°C Dublin

Man accused of raping woman claimed he was gay, court told

A WESTMEATH man claimed he was gay before taking a woman home and raping her, it has been alleged at the Central Criminal Court.

The 46 year old is accused of threatening to kill the woman and holding her against her will after he convinced her to come back to his house by claiming he was having a party.

“Five minutes of this won’t kill you, but if you don’t do what I say, I will,” he allegedly told the woman.

He has pleaded not guilty to rape, sexual assault, false imprisonment and making threats to kill at his Westmeath home on January 08, 2010.

The 23 year old woman told the court that she was in a local nightspot when the accused approached her and started talking to her. The court heard he was trying to “chat her up” but then told her he was gay and asked her to join him and his friends for a party in his place.

She went back with him but became concerned when she saw here was nobody else arriving. She said she tried to call several friends without success and then told him she was leaving. He started crying and she said she felt sorry for him.

“He kept saying he was a good guy and why was I doing this to him,” she said.

She told prosecuting counsel Patrick Marrinan SC that as she went to leave, the accused grabbed her by the arm and flung her back into the room. She said his mood had changed completely and he looked “terrifying”.

“You could see the anger in his eyes and I knew something bad was going to happen.”

She said she started hitting him as best she could but he was too strong. He took her into the bedroom, ripped off her clothes and raped her, she told the court.

She said he made her give him oral sex and threatened to kill her if she didn’t stop resisting. She alleged he also threatened to poke her eye out.

The woman said she told the man he was raping her but this didn’t stop him. She begged him to stop but he responded “it’s grand” and “I’m not hurting you.” She said as he raped her it felt like she was being punched.

He said after a few minutes he stopped, sat on the bed and began crying. He said he was sorry and that she had to forgive him. She said he said something about being “stoned” and asked her if she would go out to dinner with him.

She said she comforted the accused because she was afraid of him but then fled the house. It was almost 5pm when she phoned her father and asked him to come get her.

The trial continues before Ms Justice Iseult O'Malley and a jury of ten men and two women.