Man accused of nearly 400 counts of child sex abuse has case adjourned
THE case against a man accused of nearly 400 counts of child sexual abuse in the midlands has been adjourned at the Central Criminal Court.
The accused (38), who was extradited to Ireland from the US last week, was remanded in custody in his absence today.
He faces a total of 394 charges related to the alleged abuse of two boys over a six-year period in the 2000s.
This morning was to be his first appearance before the Central Criminal Court after he was sent forward for trial from a district court in the midlands last Friday.
However, his barrister told Mr Justice Michael White the accused was not in court and would not be present today.
The judge adjourned the case to April 29, making an order for the man's production in court on the next date.
The man, who cannot be named, is charged with 210 counts of sexual assault, 177 counts of rape, three counts of assault causing harm and one count each of attempted rape, false imprisonment, harassment and criminal damage to property.
At a district court sitting last Friday, Judge Kevin Kilrane refused to grant bail and sent him forward for trial.
Detective Garda Damien McGovern that court sitting he arrested the accused by warrant at Dublin Airport following his extradition from the US.
He was formally charged at a midlands garda station later that morning.
Two books of evidence were served on him and he was sent forward to the circuit court in relation to one of the alleged victims and to the Central Criminal Court on the other.
Det Gda McGovern had objected to bail, citing the nature and seriousness of the charges. He said they carried potential sentences on conviction ranging from five years to life imprisonment.
The man's solicitor Frank Gearty had applied for bail on his behalf, saying the accused was presumed innocent and was prepared to abide by conditions.
The man gave evidence in support of his bail application, confirming that he would agree to conditions if granted bail.