| 11.8°C Dublin

Man accused of murdering Martin Brophy told gardai he 'pushed and kicked' him, trial hears


Criminal Courts of Justice

Criminal Courts of Justice

Criminal Courts of Justice

A murder trial has heard that a Waterford man accused of murdering Martin Brophy told gardai in interview that he "pushed and kicked" the deceased.

William Moran (20) of Connolly Place, Waterford City is charged with murdering Martin Brophy (22) at the old Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) building between May 19 and May 21 2012.

Mr Moran has pleaded not guilty to the charge and is currently on trial at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin.

Taking to the stand today Detective Sergeant Donal Donoghue confirmed with Michael Delaney SC prosecuting that in a voluntary statement made on May 29th, 2012, the accused admitted kicking Martin Brophy in the head.

Detective Sergeant Donoghue put it to the accused in interview on July 2nd, 2012 "you admitted kicking Martin Brophy in the head 10 times" to which he replied "I  remember".

The court heard that in garda interview, the accused stated he had lost his phone on the night of May 19th 2012 and when asked if the SIM card and phone were together when he lost it, he replied "no".

The question "would you agree by kicking Martin Brophy 10 times it contributed to his death" was put to the accused during garda interview in July 2012 to which he replied "he was still alive when I left".

When asked in interview if he knew Stephen Dundon, the accused said he did and that the last time he spoke to him was on Facebook after the incident.

The jury heard that gardai put it to the accused that his Facebook contact with Stephen Dundon in which he mentioned beating a person to death, had occurred the day after the death of Martin Brophy and the day before he was found.

The accused replied during garda interview "Gavin Walsh went around telling everyone - that's how it got around the streets".

In interview, gardai put it to the accused "you made a voluntary statement you hit and kicked Martin Brophy at least ten times" to which he replied "I pushed and kicked him".

When asked about saying he had kicked the deceased in the face in interview, the accused replied "I didn't murder him".

Under cross examination by Colman Cody SC defending, Detective Sergeant Donoghue confirmed that he was the person in charge of the overall preservation of the scene.

Mr Cody confirmed that the preservation of the scene had commenced sometime after 6pm on May 21rst, 2012 and that it was apparent that the scene had not been preserved from the 19th until the 21rst.

He concluded saying that there was evidence of people entering the scene later on May 19th and 20th 2012.

The trial continues tomorrow before Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy and a jury of four women and seven men.

Online Editors