Monday 19 August 2019

Man accused of murdering Anthony Rogers told gardai he was raped by victim as a child, court hears

Gardaí at Robinson’s Court, where Mr Rodgers was found in his hallway. Photo: Mark Condren
Gardaí at Robinson’s Court, where Mr Rodgers was found in his hallway. Photo: Mark Condren

Tom Tuite

A 36-year-old man accused of murdering Anthony Rogers, who was stabbed to death in his Dublin home last year, has claimed he was raped by the victim when he was a child.

Alan Harte, with an address at Island Quay Apartments, East Wall, Dublin 3 was remanded in custody today after he was charged with the murder of Anthony Rogers (60) at his home at Robinson's Court, Cork Street, Dublin 8 on November 6 last year.

Mr Rogers was rushed to St James' Hospital after the stabbing but was later pronounced dead.

Gardai arrested Mr Harte on Thursday morning and charged him at Kevin Street Garda station before he was brought to appear before Judge Brian O’Shea at Dublin District Court.

Garda Sergeant Brona O’Reilly told the court that after the accused was charged he replied that “Anthony Rogers raped me when I was 10 and others and I didn't kill him”.

The district court cannot grant bail in murder cases and the garda applied for a one-week remand in custody.

Dressed in a navy hooded tracksuit and runners, Mr Harte remained silent during the brief hearing and has not yet indicated how he will plead.

Judge O’Shea acceded to a request from defence solicitor John Quinn to make a recommendation that Mr Harte would get psychiatric treatment in custody.

The accused was remanded in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on Nov. 23 next.

Legal aid was granted.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News