Tuesday 20 March 2018

Man accused of midlands crime spree unable to attend court as he's been hospitalised, court told

Dublin District Court
Dublin District Court

Tom Tuite

A MAN charged over a midlands crime spree after a petrol station was raided, a rifle fired and a van was hi-jacked was unable to face court today because he has been hospitalised.

Joseph Moore (31) with an address at Market Mews, Marlborough Village, Co. Laois was due to face his second hearing at Dublin District Court on Tuesday after he was remanded in custody last week.

He faces a string of charges in connection with a series of incidents on Aug 18 last and the following day in Co. Laois.

Defence solicitor Brian Keenan told Judge Grainne O’Neill that his client was currently hospitalised in Tallaght receiving treatment for his injuries.

Judge O’Neill adjourned the case in Mr Moore’s absence until September 12 next.

The accused had also been hospitalised for several day following his arrest and prior to his first court hearing last Thursday.

Garda Keith Shier of Portlaoise station had told the court he charged the accused with four offences. The man replied: “I am so sorry” when charged with threat to kill or cause serious harm to a named woman at his home address on August 18. The charge is contrary to Section Five of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.

He made no reply when charged stealing the woman’s car on the same time.

He replied “I am so sorry” when charged with robbery of the Emo filling station Portlaoise Road, Mountrath during which €930 was taken in early hours of August 19 last.

He also had another charge for unlawful seizure, “by threat of force”, of a ‘08-reg VW Caddy at nearby Derrykearn, Abbeyleix, minutes later.

It follows other alleged incidents which has led to him being charged with burglary at the home of a named man at Oldtown, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois on August 10 and robbery the following day at Jones Oil, at Tea Lane in Portlaoise during which €1,970 was allegedly taken.

Det Garda JP O’Brien had told the court that Mr Moore replied “I am sorry” to both of those charges.

Gardai must be given advance notice if the defence intend to make an application for bail, the court has ordered.

Det Garda O’Brien had said it will be alleged a “fully loaded rifle” was discharged when a vehicle was hi-jacked and there more serious offences. Directions from the Director of Public Prosecution needed to be obtained.

Defence solicitor Mr Keenan had told the court his client suffered significant injuries and was in Midlands Regional Hospital in Tullamore for a number of days after the alleged incidents. At his first hearing the court had also acceded to his request to order necessary medical attention for Mr Moore in custody.

Legal aid was granted after the court heard the accused was not working.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News