Wednesday 17 January 2018

Man (75) struck by car outside local pub died two days before Christmas, inquest hears

The Dublin Coroner's Court
The Dublin Coroner's Court

Louise Roseingrave

A man struck by a car as he walked home from his local pub died two days before Christmas, an inquest heard.

Anthony Burke (75) from Briarfield Grove, Kilbarrack, Dublin 5 was struck by a car on Greendale Road, Kilbarrack on December 22 2014.

He suffered multiple skull fractures, broken ribs, a broken pelvis and died the following day, Dublin Coroner's Court head.  Mr Burke, who lived in the UK most of his life, was a regular at the Foxhound Inn on Greendale Road, less than 500m from his home. Bar staff described him as a very quiet man.

“You would hardly know he was there,” barman Derek Hyland said.

Passer-by Peter Treherne was walking home from Kilbarrack train station around 6.10pm when he heard two loud bangs in quick succession. It was a cold dark night and the road was wet, he said.

“I saw a silver car pass by and then it pulled in and stopped. I turned around and saw a man lying on the road. I thought maybe he was dead but I could see he was breathing,” Mr Treherne said.

Driver Cormack Licken was on his way home from work when the incident happened.

“I was driving up Greendale Road when there was a loud bang on the windscreen like a rock hitting it and the windscreen cracked,” he said. He did not see the deceased and only became aware he had struck someone when he stopped and walked back.

Gardai did not attend the scene as there was no car available at the time. Coroner Dr Brian Farrell asked if this happens often. “Yes it happens. It depends on the resources available. Vehicles are delegated by central control in Harcourt St,” Gda Austin Kelly said.

PSV Inspector Garda Alan Quinn examined the vehicle, a 01 Skoda Octavia and found it to be roadworthy. A file was sent to the DPP who directed no prosecution be brought. Mr Burke passed away at Beaumont Hospital on December 23. The cause of death was severe head injuries.

The jury returned a verdict of death by misadventure and recommended that Dublin City Council address street lighting in the area.

Mr Burke’s nephew Terry Walsh said the family bore ‘no ill will towards Mr Licken’ and thanked emergency services involved.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News