Sunday 17 December 2017

Man (36) charged with dangerous driving causing death of French man working in Ireland

(Stock picture)
(Stock picture)
Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

A man has been charged with dangerous driving causing the death of a French national working in Ireland.

Martin Linehan (36) appeared before Cork District on a total of 10 charges after he was brought to Ireland from the United Kingdom on foot of a European Arrest Warrant in connection with the death of Gabriel Jean Lege (25) four years ago.

Mr Linehan, who formerly lived at Lagan Grove in Mayfield, Cork but currently has an address at Essex in the UK, was arrested on arrival at Cork Airport and brought to the Bridewell Garda Station.

Judge Olann Kelleher at Cork District Court was told that Mr Linehan was charged by Detective Garda Anne O'Flynn with a total of 10 counts in relation to the circumstances surrounding death of the French national who had moved to Cork to work with Apple.

Mr Lege died after being involved in a collision while crossing the road in Cork city centre.

He was due to move into a new apartment that day.

Mr Linehan is charged with dangerous driving causing the death of Mr Lege at George's Quay in Cork on October 31 2013.

One of the other charges he faces is dangerous driving at two locations in Cork city.

Mr Linehan is also charged with failing to keep his vehicle at the scene of an accident.

The other charges include insurance, license and vehicle safety matters. Judge Kelleher was told that Gardaí were applying for a remand in custody.

Defence solicitor, Michael Quinlan, told the court that the issue of a bail application does not arise at the current time.

Judge Kelleher remanded Mr Linehan in custody to appear again before Cork District Court on July 19 next.

Free legal aid was also granted to Mr Linehan.

Judge Kelleher said that Gardaí are now awaiting instructions from the

Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in relation to the matter.

Last November, Cork coroner Philip Comyn adjourned the inquest into Mr

Lege's death as the Garda file was still open.

Mr Lege suffered fatal injuries when he was struck by a van while crossing the road at George’s Quay on Halloween night in 2013.

The young man was left critically injured by the roadside.

The young Frenchman had been living and working in Cork for almost three years.

He was rushed to Cork University Hospital (CUH) where, despite desperate efforts by surgeons to stabilise his condition, he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Mr Comyn adjourned the inquest until this summer for mention.

Mr Lege was an employee at Apple's Hollyhill plant and his heartbroken family paid tribute to his employers, work colleagues and the people of Cork for the support they showed them in the difficult weeks and months after the tragedy.

He was from the Vendee region in the west of France.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News