Man (29) charged with murder of Dermot Byrne further remanded in custody
A 29-year-old man charged with the murder of father-of-three Dermot Byrne in Swords in Co Dublin has been further remanded in custody.
The businessman and popular pool player, who was aged 54 and lived in Swords, had been socialising in the town when he was attacked at North Street in the early hours of July 16 last.
Gardai arrived at about 3.05am and he was attended to by medical personnel but was subsequently pronounced dead at the scene.
The accused, Anthony Walsh, who is of no fixed abode but from the Glencullen area in south Co Dublin, was charged the following week and had been remanded in custody. He faced his second hearing at Cloverhill District Court before Judge Victor Blake and was further remanded in custody to appear again on August 25 next.
At his first hearing on July 21, Garda Killian Leydon told the district court that the accused was arrested at 4.45pm the previous day outside Building Five in the grounds of St James’s Hospital, in Dublin 8. He was brought to Swords Garda station and charged at 5.43pm after which, “he made no reply”.
There were minor applications to amend the charges sheets to correct the defendant’s age and to insert “no fixed abode” as his address.
Legal aid had been granted after the defence solicitor told the court that Mr Walsh was not working and has been in receipt of the Jobseeker’s Allowance.
Bail cannot be granted in the district court in murder cases and can only be considered by the High Court.