Man (24) charged over rape of Spanish student further remanded in custody
A 24-year-old man accused of rape and false imprisonment of a Spanish student in Dublin has been further remanded in custody.
The young woman, aged 18, who had just come to Ireland in recent months to live with a host family had been in Dublin on July 15 when she was allegedly brought to waste-ground in the city’s south-side and raped.
The accused, who cannot be named for legal reasons, faced his sixth hearing when he appeared before Judge Victor Blake at Cloverhill District Court on Friday. He was further remanded in custody to appear again on October 20 next.
A book of evidence has yet to be completed and served on him.
Initially he was charged with one count of rape, false imprisonment and threat to kill or cause serious harm to the woman at the Irish Glass Bottle site, in Ringsend in south Dublin.
The man, who was described by his lawyer as having a significant history of mental problems, made no bail application at his first hearing on July 21 last.
Last week three additional charges were brought against the man: two additional counts of raping the woman and one charge for sexually assaulting her.
Garda Bryan Hunt had told the judge that the accused “was cautioned after each charge and made no reply to any of the charges”. He also told the court that the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed that he face trial on indictment on all matters.
Garda Hunt had said that there are now six offences before the court and “they all related to the same incident.”
The defendant has not yet indicated how he would plead.
At his first hearing in July, the court directed a psychiatric assessment and for psychiatric report to be obtained following a request by his solicitor.
The basis for the application was concerns raised by the defence for his mental well-being. His solicitor had said the man “does have a significant history” and he had medical reports on him.
The defence had said given the seriousness of the charge and the fact his client is in receipt of a social welfare payment he was making an application for legal aid, which was also granted.
The accused had been originally arrested on July 17, two days after the alleged rape but he was released without charge the following day. However, he was re-arrested for the purpose of being charged on July 21 last and has been in custody on remand since then.