Man (21) charged with killing former Irish Independent journalist Eugene Maloney
A 21-YEAR-OLD trainee mechanic was charged today with killing journalist Eugene Moloney who died after an assault in Dublin city-centre at the weekend.
Mr Moloney, a former reporter with the Irish Independent, lived at Portobello Place on Dublin's south side and was making his way home in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The 55-year-old suffered a blow to the head on Camden Street; he received medical attention at the scene and was then rushed to St James' Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Gary Burch, of Kennington Close, Templeogue, south Dublin, had been detained by gardai for questioning.
He was brought before Dublin District Court charged with the manslaughter of Mr Moloney at Camden Street, on June 24.
Garda Sergeant Sean McAvinchey told Judge Victor Blake that Mr Burch was charged at 12.49pm today.
“I arrested the accused at Kevin St station for the purpose of charge following directions from the DPP,” Gda-Sgt McAvinchey said.
He said he was present when the charge was read over to Mr Burch. “In reply to charge after caution, Gary Burch made no reply,” Gda-Sgt McAvinchey also said.
He then asked the judge to remand Mr Burch in custody to appear again next Monday.
Dressed in a grey striped hooded top, dark blue tracksuit bottoms and white runners, Mr Burch, who was represented by Michael Bowman BL, did not address the court during the brief hearing today and has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charge.
No application for bail or legal aid was made and Mr Burch was told to stand up as the judge made the order remanding him in custody.
Mr Moloney who was originally from Donegal, had previously worked with the Irish News in Belfast in the 1970s.
He later relocated to Dublin where he worked for Independent newspapers for more than 20 years.
In 1987, he began reporting for the Evening Herald. He later moved to the Irish Independent and worked out of the paper's head office in Dublin, but had also reported extensively from the North at the height of the Troubles.
A second man arrested during the investigation into the journalist's death was released without charge from Garda custody last night.