Sunday 22 September 2019

Man (19) with 90 previous convictions attacked and robbed student on Luas

Sean Byrne and his co-accused attacked a Brazilian student
Sean Byrne and his co-accused attacked a Brazilian student
Luke Byrne

Luke Byrne

This is the young thug with 90 previous convictions who carried out a violent attack on the Luas after breaking out of Oberstown in Dublin.

Crumlin man Sean Byrne, who was then aged 19, was one of two people who assaulted and robbed a student after escaping from the young offenders' institution.

The teenagers smashed the glass door of the tram to make their escape after carrying out the attack.

The second attacker, who was 16 at the time, cannot be named as he was a juvenile when convicted.

In total, the pair have 110 previous convictions between them, including offences for robbery, violent disorder and assault.

Yesterday, at Dublin Circuit Court, Byrne (21), of Poddle Close, Crumlin, was sentenced to three years' imprisonment for his role in the attack.

He also received a three-year prison term, with 18 months suspended, for a separate violent disorder incident that took place in 2014.

Garda Micheal Muldoon, of Sundrive Road Garda Station, told the court that the assault and robbery occurred on August 3, 2015.

The attackers, who were both teenagers at the time, were unlawfully at large from the Oberstown young offenders' facility, where they were both being detained.

The victim, a Brazilian student in his 20s, was on the Luas Red Line at Inchicore listening to music on his phone when he was attacked.

CCTV footage showed the two thugs approach the victim and attempt to steal his phone.

"A male approaches and tries to grab the phone, but the victim holds on to him and the doors of the Luas close," Gda Muldoon told the court.


The first male, who was identified as the juvenile, then begins punching the victim in the face.

The second male, identified on CCTV footage as Sean Byrne, joins in and begins throwing several punches at the injured party.

"Sean Byrne then took the phone out of the injured party's pocket. [The youth] then smashes the glass in the door and the two escape," Gda Muldoon said.

Two phones, valued at €500, were stolen during the incident. They were never recovered.

A victim impact statement read to the court by the prosecution told how the student was left psychologically affected by the incident.

"He wished to be in court but couldn't make it due to work commitments," the prosecution said.

The young student suffered bruising and cuts to his head.

In a hearing last week, Justice Patricia Ryan said that Byrne "will find himself back before the court again".

"He punches and kicks people in the head, and has 90 previous convictions. He should get a job," Justice Ryan said.

In sentencing, the judge said she was taking into account the defendant's guilty plea and his expression of remorse.

His co-accused, who is from Tipperary and now 18, was last year given a three-year prison term.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News