Sunday 22 September 2019

Lorry driver in €60,000 claim continued job during ban

Stock photo
Stock photo

Ray Managh

A lorry driver has withdrawn a €60,000 personal injuries claim after admitting in court he had continued to drive for his employer at a time when he had been banned.

Peter Conway's admission in the witness box came in the middle of a detailed cross-examination by barrister Shane English, who appeared for Landbridge Limited.

Mr Conway (57), of Churchfield Avenue, Churchfield, Co Cork, withdrew his damages claim minutes after answering "Yes" when asked by Mr English if he had continued driving for his former employer at a time he had been banned.

Judge Pauline Codd adjourned the personal injuries hearing when Mr Conway admitted his failure to inform the company of having lost his licence. Following brief talks with his legal team, Mr Conway withdrew his claim.

Earlier, he had told the court that on January 18, 2013, he had travelled to Thurles, Co Tipperary, to make a delivery and had to use an electric pallet truck for unloading purposes and injured his neck and back during the process.

Mr English told him he had drawn benefits worth €55,327 because he had been registered as disabled and had given the court the impression the injuries were going to affect him for the rest of his life.

"You were banned from driving but you continued to drive and you did not tell Landbridge," Mr English said.

When Mr Conway answered "Yes", Mr English told Judge Codd he had an application to make to the court.

After a brief adjournment, the judge was told Mr Conway was withdrawing his case on the basis no order for costs would be sought against him.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News