Monday 19 March 2018

Locals 'living in fear' after violent offender released from prison

Sean Walsh: ‘Has elaborate fantasies of a violent nature’
Sean Walsh: ‘Has elaborate fantasies of a violent nature’

Ciara Treacy

A Kilkenny resident has said people are "living in fear" after a man who stabbed his pregnant girlfriend and tried to strangle a three-year-old girl is back in the city following his release from prison.

Sean Walsh pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Georgette O'Carroll at her home at O'Loughlin Court, Kilkenny, on November 9, 2004, and endangering the life of a child at the same location on the same date.

In May 2006 Walsh - who had an address also at O'Loughlin Court in Kilkenny at the time of the offence - was sentenced to 15 years in prison at Kilkenny Circuit Court. He was 24 years old at the time.

Walsh, who is originally from the UK and came to Kilkenny in 2001, was released from prison earlier this week.

"He was released [on Tuesday] and he is back in Kilkenny, for how long we do not know; but it was believed before that he would not be coming back to Kilkenny," said the resident, who did not want to be named.

"Kilkenny is a very small town and we are supportive of each other and we do not want him here.

"He is 100pc not wanted in Kilkenny. Residents are living in fear.

"There should be more publicity that he is back here because he is a very dangerous man and people should be warned about him."

The resident said that Walsh's victim Ms O'Carroll is "extremely afraid" that he has returned. Ms O'Carroll was pregnant with his child at the time of the attack.

The previous night the couple had watched a film, 'The Grudge', which depicts a husband trying to strangle his wife. The following morning, Ms O'Carroll woke up to find herself being suffocated by Walsh. She was also head-butted by him and had a number of injuries inflicted by stabbing.

In the bathroom of her house, a three-year-old girl was found unconscious with a pair of trousers tied around her neck.

She had several bite marks on her arm and her left elbow was fractured.

At the time of his sentencing, Judge Olive Buttimer said Walsh had vivid and elaborate fantasies of a violent nature of carrying a knife around at night following people.

She also said the accused seemed to take pleasure or excitement and felt a sense of relief and buzz afterwards.

She sentenced Walsh to 10 years for causing serious harm to Ms O'Carroll and five years for endangering the three-year-old girl.

During the trial medical reports were filed showing Walsh suffered from a serious personality disorder.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News