Saturday 25 November 2017

Lithuanian man (26) charged with murder of mum and child

Aurimas Andruska
Aurimas Andruska
Jolanta Lubiene and her daughter Enrika
Ms Lubiene's husband Marius Lubys at court
Majella O'Sullivan

Majella O'Sullivan

A 26-YEAR-OLD Lithuanian man has been charged with the double murder of Jolanta Lubiene and her eight-year-old daughter Enrika.

Aurimas Andruska (26) appeared at Killarney District Court after being re-arrested by gardai hours after being released from questioning.

The mother and daughter died from stab wounds.

Their bodies were found at their home in Killorglin, Co Kerry, on June 16.

Mr Andruska, of 7 Ard Moneil Heights, Killorglin, Co Kerry, was arrested at 6.36pm at the School Road, Sunhill, Killorglin, and brought to Killarney garda station where he was charged with the murder of Ms Lubiene (27) and her daughter at 9 Langford Downs in the town on June 15.

He was brought to a special sitting of the court at 8.30pm last night.

In reply to the first charge he responded: "I did not kill. I can only tell."

Det Sgt John Kelly told the court that in reply to the second charge of the murder of Enrika, he said: "I will tell you exactly the same."

Speaking through a Lithuanian interpreter, Mr Andruska said he understood the charges.

Ms Lubiene's husband and the father of their child, Marius Lubys (29), was in court last night for the brief hearing that lasted seven minutes.

Her sister, Kristina Kuleviciene, and brother-in-law, Vaidas Kulevicius, were also in court.

Ms Kuleviciene wept throughout the hearing.

The accused had been re-arrested in Killorglin five hours after he had been released from garda custody, where he had been detained since Thursday morning on suspicion of murder.

A crowd of about 100 people had gathered outside the courthouse on Fair Hill awaiting his arrival.

When Mr Andruska was taken from the back seat of the unmarked car, the crowd clapped, cheered and jeered.

Wearing black tracksuit bottoms, a grey hoodie and canvas trainers, the accused appeared calm and responded to the questions that were put before him.

The accused has been remanded in custody to appear again before Killarney District Court on Tuesday, following a request from gardai.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News