Friday 23 March 2018

Life for killer who lured teen victim by pretending to be girl

A TEENAGER is beginning a life sentence for murdering a youth he had lured into a "fatal trap" by pretending to be a girl.

Marcus Kirwan (19) had denied murdering David Byrne but was convicted on an unanimous verdict by a jury who deliberated for just over four hours.

Outside court, the victim's father David Hayes said: "We've been waiting for this day for a very long time. Justice is done. "I wish that he's happy up there now."

Mr Hayes added that David's mother Ann Byrne died a month after the murder. "May she rest in peace and may David rest in peace with her," he said.

David's aunt Angela Byrne said he was "a gentle giant".

"He cared for his mam, who had cancer," she added.

"He was just a lovely boy."

During the trial the State provided the jury with phone records that showed the accused had sent texts to the victim pretending to be a girl called Sinead.

Kirwan, right, of Cooley Road, also in Drimnagh, showed no emotion as he was led away to begin his mandatory life term, imposed on him by Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan.

The judge adjourned hearing victim impact statements until next week. The Central Criminal Court was told that Kiwan, posing as 'Sinead', sent a text to David on the night of March 19, 2011, to arrange a meeting at a youth centre.

But when the 19-year-old arrived, he was attacked by Kirwan and a number of others, who chased him into a dead end at the Emmet Court apartment block in Inchicore, Dublin.

Kirwan then stabbed David nine times, once in his face and eight times in his back.

The victim's heart and lungs were punctured and one of the fatal wounds was 20cm deep,

David, who had lived at Davitt House in Drimnagh, died in hospital shortly afterwards

Witness Sonya Byrne, an Emmet Court resident, had picked Kirwan out of an identification parade as the person in a grey hoodie who was most closely chasing the victim.


Another resident, Thomas Quinn, told the court that he saw somebody "digging" the victim in the back, after chasing him into a dead end.

Imes Kmiecik said she saw three people running away from the scene and that the last person to leave was carrying a knife.

The jury also watched CCTV footage of the chase, captured on various cameras between the youth centre and apartment complex.

One camera showed the victim stagger into shot before falling to the ground and being helped by residents.

He was rushed by ambulance to St James's Hospital, but died of multiple stab wounds shortly afterwards.

Kirwan was also captured on CCTV after the attack, at a takeaway in Drimnagh, where another youth pointed to something on his hoodie. The State suggested that this was blood.

Kirwan went outside and was seen taking off the hoodie before returning inside wearing a green and white rugby shirt. He was still wearing this shirt when arrested at his home two days later and it was an exhibit in the case.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News