Wednesday 21 March 2018

Libyan named on UN's al-Qa'ida 'terror list' fined for breach of peace

Tom Tuite

A LIBYAN-BORN man who once featured on the United Nation's al-Qa'ida "terror list", has avoided jail after a court heard he confronted a Garda Special Detective Unit officer and goaded her to shoot him.

Father-of-six Ibrahim Buisir (50) was given a two-month suspended sentence and a €300 fine following his case at Dublin District Court, which heard that he became aggressive after refusing to tell a Special Detective Unit (SDU) officer the name of a person seen in his car.

Buisir, now a naturalised Irish citizen, appeared before Judge William Hamill to answer summons issued by two gardai attached to SDU which he claims is harassing him.

Buisir, who has lived in Ireland for 32 years, pleaded not guilty to four charges arising from two alleged incidents near his home at Hillview Grove, Ballinteer, Dublin. Judge Hamill ordered that he will face a non-jury district court trial in November accused of breach of the peace and assaulting gardai Gillian Morris and Leanna Cruise at Hillview Grove, on January 17 last year.

Meanwhile, the court convicted him on the second set of charges – which Buisir also contested – for a breach of the peace on August 2, 2011, at Hillview Grove and failing to give information as to the identity of a person using a car belonging to him on the same date.

SDU officer Det Gda Valerie Browne told Judge Hamill that she and colleague Det Gda Colm Coyne had been on the cul-de-sac where Buisir lives and saw someone driving his car while not wearing a seat belt.

The driver of the car "jammed on the brakes and reversed the car in a hurry". He stopped at Buisir's house and ran inside. She said she and her colleague went back to their own car and Buisir came running out of his house, jumped on the boot then rolled on to the ground.

"He started shouting that I was harassing him, to take out my gun and shoot him." He also claimed he was hurt and threatened to sue. For the breach of the peace offence, Judge Hamill fined him €300. He imposed a two-month sentence on him for failing to name the driver of his car, but suspended it on condition he does not re-offend within the next six months.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News