Knife mugger awaits sentence after being fought off by victim
A DUBLIN youth, who pulled a knife on a 58-year-old man during a mugging but was left running scared after the victim fought him off, has been remanded on bail pending sentence.
The 17-year-old pleaded guilty yesterday (MON) to attempted robbery of the man, at the Royal Canal Bank Walk, in Dublin 7 on April 5 last year.
Garda Ciaran Kavanagh told Judge John O'Connor at the Dublin Children's Court that the 58-year-old man had gone out for a walk and was followed by the boy, then aged 16.
“He pulled a knife on the injured party and demanded his I-phone which he had observed him using,” said Gda Kavanagh.
The court heard that the man had noticed the teenager following him and was ready for him. He refused to give the teen his phone and began “striking out with a kick” at the boy who became frightened and fled but arrested a short time later "hiding in the bushes".
Judge O'Connor noted that following his arrest, the boy made admissions that he was trying to steal the man's phone.
Defence counsel Aoife McNickle asked the court to note that the 58-year-old did not suffer any injuries. She also said the teenager's situation is now more stable than it had been at the time.
Judge O'Connor said it was a serious offence but he noted that the boy had “a very troubled time” then, and has pleaded guilty, however, he also added that he may have to consider imposing a custodial sentence.
The boy, who was accompanied to his hearing by his mother, was ordered to appear again in July when a probation report is to be furnished to the court.