Saturday 20 January 2018

Jury told knives and jelly babies sold in shop hours before killing

Michael Lavery

A WOMAN accused of murdering her husband by stabbing him to death was seen in a store where two knives and a packet of Jelly Babies were sold 36 hours before the killing, a jury heard today.

Gardai were given sales receipts from a Heatons store in The Square, Tallaght, totalling €10.50 - €4 each for a cook’s knife and a carving knife and €2.50 for Jelly Babies, a jury at the Central Criminal Court heard.


Tanya Doyle (40) of Pairc Gleann Trasna, Aylesbury, Tallaght has pleaded not (NOT) guilty to murdering Paul Byrne (48) at that address on September 4, 2009.


Defence counsel Brendan Grehan told the jury at the start of the trial that it was admitted his client acted alone in killing Mr Byrne.


The issue would be Ms Doyle’s mental state at the time she carried out the killing, he said.


Today, Det Garda Brian O’Reilly, a member of a search team, told how he found till receipts in a woman’s handbag inside a box in a bedroom of the house on September 7, 2009.


Det Garda Ciaran McGrath said he went to Heatons store in The Square on September 7, 2009 and asked to see CCTV footage from September 3.


The jury were shown CCTV footage of a woman entering the store at 12.19pm on September 3 and walking around the store. The witness said he was satisfied it was Tanya Doyle.


The Det Garda said he viewed footage in the store of Tanya Doyle queuing at the till but the footage could not (NOT) be burned onto a CD.


The store manager gave him print outs of sales receipts which were issued to the person who bought two knives and a packet of Jelly Beans.


The court also heard that 15 knives of one type of knife and nine of another type had been sold in Heatons.


Witness agreed with Mr Grehan that this was 36 hours approximately before the events.


He also agreed the time of the receipts was around 12.30pm on September 3.


The court also heard today of Garda interviews with Tanya Doyle after the death of Mr Byrne.


D Garda John O'Connell agreed with Mr Grehan that she told him she had given an interview to a newspaper that she was involved in an escort business.


She also said: "I was on the bed beside him  The blood was all over me.  I didn’t want him to die."


She also told Garda in interviews that "he was coming towards me, shouting abuse, that's when I did it."


The accused also told Gardai she was on a number of medications, including one for epilepsy, which she had since she was young, and an anti depressant.


She also said it was "nothing to do with money."


"When I came back from Africa, I had a lot of enemies in Dublin, I thought he had gathered with them.  I thought something was planned to happen to me," she said.


Det Garda Michael McGrath said she said it "I got a bit blurry" after she stabbed him first, but insisted she did not want him to die.


She also said to Gardai: "I didnt think he was going to die.  He had been very abusive to me.  I didnt want to kill him.  I still love him."


The trial is continuing.


Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News