Jury in David Drumm fraud trial discharged
The jury in the David Drumm fraud trial was discharged today.
A member of the jury had informed the judge that he had difficulties about serving on the jury. He was discharged from his duties around midday today by Judge Karen O'Connor.
Judge O'Connor said a new jury will be empanelled this afternoon.
Seven original members of the jury had already been excused from serving after making requests to be excused.
Many had indicated that they had difficulties about the long, five-month expected duration of the trial. All those members were replaced and then the jury of 15 was formally charged on Thursday with its duties and a foreperson was selected.
When the court was informed on Friday that a member of the newly constituted jury had made a request to be excused, the judge ruled that the matter would be dealt with today.
The normal 12-member jury is expanded to 15 members in trials that are expected to last more than two months to make provision for any member becoming unavailable to continuing serving on the jury.
Prosecuting senior counsel Paul O'Higgins said earlier the Director of Public Prosecutions stressed it was very important that the trial commence with 15 jury members.
Legal argument has been proceeding since Thursday in the absence of the jury and is expected to last until the end of January.
Mr Drumm (51), former chief executive of Anglo Irish Bank, has pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.
It is alleged Mr Drumm conspired with former Anglo executives John Bowe and Willie McAteer, former Irish Life and Permanent chief executive Denis Casey, and others to defraud depositors and investors at Anglo by dishonestly creating the impression that deposits in 2008 were €7.2bn larger than they were.