A jury has failed to reach a number of verdicts in the trial of a childcare worker accused of sexually assaulting four girls in a Leinster crèche.
On Monday, the man was acquitted on three charges relating to the first girl, and acquitted of both charges in relation to the fourth girl.
The jury foreman had then asked Judge Elma Sheahan for more time to continue deliberations on the outstanding charges.
On day 23 of the trial yesterday, the jury in the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court trial told the judge that it was unable to agree on verdicts for any of the remaining 18 counts of sexual assault after deliberating for 21 hours and 41 minutes.
The 29-year-old man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the children, had pleaded not guilty to 23 counts of sexually assaulting the girls at the crèche on dates between August 2014 and December 2016, when they were aged between five and eight years old.
Judge Sheahan thanked the jury for their service. She remanded the man on continuing bail and adjourned the matter to June 16.
The prosecution alleged the accused man had sexually assaulted the girls, who were all part of a "small circle of friends".
However, the man's lawyers said the case was "marked by its failure to listen to the children" and that the man had been left "utterly devastated" by the false allegations made against him.