| 16.4°C Dublin

Irishman kicked, punched, stripped and then left for dead by 'laughing' couple, court told

An "easy-going and friendly" Irish man was kicked, punched, stripped then left for dead in a skip after a drunken late night spat, a court heard.

Mick Hunt, 37, was attacked in the early hours of March 15 by Fiona Nalty and Arry Green following a night out in South Norwood, south London, the Old Bailey heard.

According to eyewitnesses, Nalty, 24, started beating up Mr Hunt after he tried to chat her up and Green, 22, joined in because she was a girl, even though the victim remained passive throughout the vicious onslaught, the Old Bailey heard.

Later that morning, a member of the public found Mr Hunt in an alleyway, severely injured, naked, unconscious and barely breathing. He died in hospital the same day.

Prosecutor David Jeremy QC said earlier that night, Mr Hunt had been drinking at the Port Manor pub where he was seen to be to be dancing and enjoying himself.

But the evening toured sour when he met the defendants at a nearby off-licence were one witness thought the victim had tried to "chat up" Nalty, a possible trigger for the violence, Mr Jeremy said.


Michael Hunt was originally from Wexford

Michael Hunt was originally from Wexford

Michael Hunt was originally from Wexford

Later, the victim tried to calm the defendants down when they became aggressive at a minicab office after a driver refused to take Nalty home because she was drunk.

Nalty began punching and pushing Mr Hunt around outside and Green weighed in with a punch because he did not like the idea of the victim fighting a girl, even though he was not retaliating, the court heard.

Green then suggested to Nalty that they should go into a nearby alleyway to "sort this out", the court heard.

The attack was witnessed by a 15-year-old boy who saw Nalty and Green kicking Mr Hunt as he lay on the floor trying to protect himself and begging "stop, please stop".

The boy heard Nalty laughing as he turned away because he could not bear to watch, Mr Jeremy told jurors.

And when the defendants emerged from the alleyway, the witness heard Nalty say "we f****d him up bad" before they told him not to tell anyone about what happened, jurors were told.

The victim was found at 7am that day, the prosecutor said: "Mr Hunt was lying in the skip on top of builders' rubbish. He was completely naked save for a bandana around his neck. These defendants must have removed his clothing as an act of humiliation.

"Mr Hunt was still breathing in a laboured fashion but was unresponsive and cold to the touch. Police noticed the large number of abrasions and cuts to his body. His face was very swollen and his eyes were closed."

Police wrapped him in a blanket to keep him warm before the ambulance arrived, but Mr Hunt died later that morning at King's College Hospital.

A post-mortem examination showed he suffered injuries consistent with kicking and stamping. He suffered a skull fracture as well as a broken nose, cheekbone and rib.

After the defendants were arrested, they made no comment in police interviews, but Mr Jeremy said their defence may be to pass blame onto each other for Mr Hunt's death.

Mr Jeremy said: "It is clear from the evidence that...both Arry Green and Fiona Nalty were both drunk and behaving very aggressively that night."

But being drunk was no defence, he said: "They had the wit to take Mr Hunt down that alleyway out of the sight of passers-by and CCTV cameras. The assault was not random - their kicks targeted Mr Hunt's face and head.

"They had the physical co-ordination to attack him so viciously, to strip him naked, and to place his naked body into a skip.

"On emerging they had the presence of mind by telling (the witness) that he should not tell anyone what he had seen."

The victim, who was originally from Co Waterford, in Ireland but lived with his mother in Selhurst in south London, had suffered from depression and anxiety and been a heroin user in the past.

But Mr Jeremy said that despite being "a drinker", he was known as "a friendly man who was not aggressive or violent".

Green, of South Norwood, and Nalty, of Coulsdon, Surrey, who both knew the victim, deny murder.

Online Editors