Irish man allegedly knocked unconscious by brother comes out of coma
The Irish man allegedly knocked unconscious by his brother during an argument has come out of a coma, it's been reported.
The news that Patrick Lyttle (31) woke up from his coma earlier today was confirmed by a spokesman for St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney, where Patrick is undergoing treatment.
Hospital spokesman David Faktor said Mr Lyttle was now in a stable condition and would remain in the intensive care unit for a number of days.
It is reported that Mr Lyttle is 'conscious and sitting up'.
Patrick had been travelling in Australia since June and met with his father Oliver and older brother Barry Lyttle (33) just four days before the incident.
An argument between the brothers, from Co Antrim, is alleged to have occurred in the King's Cross area of Sydney.
On Saturday, Barry was charged with recklessly causing grievous bodily harm after allegedly assaulting his younger brother.
Police have alleged that Barry hit his brother in the face, causing him to fall and hit his head on concrete.
Barry appeared before the local court on Tuesday and was granted bail.
After his appearance, the brothers' father Oliver said his sons had loved each other since they were young and this was a tragic incident.
Police have ruled out alcohol as a factor in the assault, saying the tragic incident stemmed from a minor dispute.
After the alleged assault, Patrick was rushed to St Vincent's Hospital with critical head injuries.
He underwent emergency surgery to remove a part of his skull in order to relieve pressure on his brain.