Sunday 22 April 2018

Hutch suspect probed over death of another Irishman in Spain

Gary Hutch. Collins Photos
Gary Hutch. Collins Photos

Ken Foy and Robin Schiller

The man held over the killing of Gary Hutch was also investigated by police probing the murder of another Irishman in Spain.

Gangland criminal James Quinn (34) made his first formal court appearance before a Spanish judge yesterday following his arrest in connection with the shooting of Hutch.

The Irish Independent can reveal he was previously investigated for the killing of Gerard 'Hatchet' Kavanagh (44), who was gunned down in Harmon's Irish Bar in Elviria in September 2014.

Sources revealed last night that gardaí have received information that Quinn was involved in the murder but Spanish police have never gained enough evidence to charge him for that crime.

The 34-year-old from Basin Street, in Dublin's south inner city, is also a suspect in a number of other gun attacks.

Quinn, a nephew of veteran criminal Martin 'The Viper' Foley, appeared in front of an investigating judge after being taken to a duty court in the Costa del Sol resort of Fuengirola for the behind-closed-doors hearing.

He was rushed into a courtroom out of sight of waiting press amid tight security yesterday morning.

Quinn was due to spend his first night last night at Alhaurin de la Torre prison as the investigation into last September's murder of Gary Hutch continues.

The maximum security jail is also where Quinn's associates Christy Kinahan and his two sons Daniel and Christopher were remanded in custody after their arrests in May 2010, following a major police investigation into drugs trafficking and money laundering.

Suspects under Spanish law can be held for a maximum of four years without charge - although a new application to continue holding them in custody has to be sought by officials after two years.

It is not yet known if Quinn's lawyer made a request for bail for his client at the hearing or whether Quinn agreed to answer questions about the Hutch murder.

The killing of Kavanagh was part of an implosion within the Kinahan cartel which also led to the brutal gun slaying of his brother Paul in Drumcondra six months later.

Two masked gunmen burst into Harmon's Irish Bar and the assassins opened fire on Kavanagh with a machine pistol while he tried to flee, at 4pm on September 6, 2014.

When he fell to the floor, one of the two assassins stood over Kavanagh and fired a last shot to his temple as he lay dead.

Senior sources say that Quinn is considered a "trusted enforcer" for the Kinahan cartel.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News