Tuesday 20 February 2018

Husband bludgeoned wife in head with kettle bell because she took up college degree

Justice Paul Carney adjourned sentencing until Monday
Justice Paul Carney adjourned sentencing until Monday

Niamh O'Donoghue

A WOMAN lay on the bathroom floor for nine hours after being bludgeoned in the head with a kettle bell by her husband.

Lounes Ouachek (44) attempted to murder his wife Ruta (35) as their marriage had broken down after he lost his job and she started an engineering degree.

Mr Ouachek, who was a "devout Muslim", "was unhappy about the path she was going on," a court heard after he pleaded guilty to attempted murder.

After he tried to kill his wife, Ouachek left the house on St Dominic's Terrace in Tallaght, Dublin, and pulled the blinds. He drove his wife's car to Dublin Airport and flew to Tunisia without telling anyone that she was injured.

Ms Ouachek, who is originally from Lithuania, was later found lying unconscious on the bathroom floor of her home after a neighbour, who collected her daughter from creche that evening, alerted gardai.

The Central Criminal Court heard that she was taken to Tallaght Hospital, where it was found that she had a complex fracture to the base of her skull. She was later transferred to Beaumont Hospital.

The head injury resulted in bruising to the right side of her brain, which affected motor function to her face and sensory problems in her left arm and fingers.

"My life lacks stability and certainty. I have lost confidence in myself and the world," Ms Ouachek said in a victim-impact statement, which was read to the court on her behalf.

The couple arrived in Ireland in 2005 and married in 2011 in Algeria. They had a daughter in 2007 and Mr Ouachek took her to Algeria without his wife's consent in February 2012.


By May 2012 the couple had separated, Ms Ouachek said she wanted a divorce and her husband left the country that July.

After his return in August, the court heard he was to some extent stalking his wife and called to a number of childcare facilities to find out where his daughter was. Ms Ouachek obtained a barring order on August 21 that year.

Ms Ouachek had some of her husband's possessions stored in the boot of her car and her husband asked her where was his metal kettle bell, which was used for weightlifting.

She handed it to him and she said her next memory was being on the kitchen floor on her back with her husband sitting on top of her, hitting her on both sides of the head with the kettle bell.

Ms Ouachek said she believed he was going to kill her and "the more I shouted the more he hit me".

The court was told Ms Ouachek was not found until eight or nine hours after the incident on August 23, 2012.

The court heard she had somehow made her way to the bathroom and locked herself in, where she was discovered in a pool of blood.

Mr Ouachek was arrested in Germany in February 19, 2013 and extradited back to Ireland the following month. He had booked flights to Tunisia after trying to buy a ticket to Algeria, but none were available.

Supt Peter Duff told the court Ms Ouachek had begun third-level education and the defendant, who was a "devout Muslim", "was unhappy about the path she was going on".

A letter was handed into court saying that Mr Ouachek instructed his solicitor to hand over €12,000 to his wife.

Mr Justice Paul Carney remanded Mr Ouachek in custody and adjourned sentencing until Monday next.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News