Saturday 16 December 2017

Hotel boss in legal bid to save job with salary of €250,000

Tim Healy

THE general manager of Citywest Hotel in Dublin has brought a High Court challenge to a bid to dismiss him.

John Glynn (59) claims Sean Whelan, the chief executive of the Jim Mansfield group that owns Citywest, has been at the centre of bids to undermine him since last May.

Mr Justice Roderick Murphy yesterday gave his lawyers permission to serve notice on HSS Ltd, trading as Citywest Hotel, of their intention to seek an injunction stopping his purported dismissal.

In an affidavit, Mr Glynn claims Mr Whelan had come up with a baseless complaint which related to traffic management for the recent 'Disney on Ice' show at Citywest to immediately dismiss him on Christmas Eve last year.

He claimed Mr Whelan offered him an alternative job on December 28 as consultant to the hotel on a salary of €50,000 plus 13pc of net profit. Mr Glynn rejected the offer because he had been hired on an agreed salary of €250,000.

In March last year, Mr Glynn claims, he was told that Mr Whelan might become a temporary financial consultant to the Mansfield group,but would have no input into the day-to-day running of the hotel.

Mr Whelan later set up an office in a room in Citywest. In May he called a meeting of heads of departments, saying he had been appointed chief executive of the Mansfield Group by Mr Mansfield.


In July, Mr Glynn said, Mr Whelan unilaterally cut his salary by €100,000, though this was temporarily restored following the intervention of Mr Mansfield.

It was cut to €150,000 again in October when Mr Glynn went into hospital for a serious operation -- although when he returned to work in November, he was told he would receive payment due and got it.

A dispute later arose between Mr Glynn and Mr Whelan relating to traffic management issues at the 'Disney on Ice' show before Christmas, and Mr Whelan wrote a letter accusing him of acting unprofessionally and demanding an apology.

Mr Glynn said he discussed this with his management team who, he said, agreed it was uncalled for. He then tore up the letter and returned it to Mr Whelan in that condition in what he said was "a moment of weakness".

He said he spoke with Mr Mansfield, who informed him that Mr Whelan was taking legal advice over the letter incident and three days later he was told by Mr Whelan that he had been dismissed.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News