Homeless man jailed for two years after mugging UCD student
A homeless man who mugged a UCD student in Dublin city centre has been sentenced to four years with two suspended.
Karl O'Brien (21), who is currently serving another sentence in Portlaoise Prison, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to the robbery of Barry O'Sullivan on Dame Street on September 18, 2011.
Garda Amy Kelly told Derek Cooney BL, prosecuting, that the UCD student was walking along Dame Street on his way to a concert when he was dragged down a laneway by four men.
The court heard that two of the men kept watch, while O'Brien and another man beat Mr O'Sullivan until he handed over his belongings.
The robbers took a Nokia phone, a wallet, a neck chain and €15 in cash before fleeing the scene. The total value of the stolen items was €155.
The attack took place at 8:30pm, and Judge Patrick McCartan remarked that it would have been broad daylight considering the time of year. He added that it "could have happened to anyone."
The men were later identified on CCTV by gardai who recognised two of them. One of the men who kept lookout has already been jailed for three years.
Gda Kelly agreed with Sandra Frayne BL, defending, that O'Brien was a drug user and had cooperated fully with gardai.
The garda said that O'Brien had admitted to the mugging but had no memory of it as he was on a "two day bender" at the time. He has 20 previous convictions.
Judge McCartan handed down a four year sentence, but suspended the final two years so O'Brien could "sort himself out."
Judge McCartan pointed out that the robbers had come back to rob a chain that had been a gift to the student from his mother.
"He was pulled into a side-street and beaten until he handed over all that had worth," he said.